Thursday, November 28, 2013

Feeling Thankful

Holidays always seem to bring out the sentimentalist in me.  Spending Thanksgiving apart from my parents, sisters, nieces, and nephews this year has made me even more sentimental than usual.   As I reflected on Thanksgivings past, it occurred to me this morning that sadness is but happiness remembered and serves as a reminder of all that we have been blessed with.  So if moments of sadness creep up on me during the course of the day, I will be thankful.

Thankful for friends, past and present, who have filled many hours with laughter and thoughtful listening.

Thankful for growing children, who have taught me the true meaning of "love of my life."

Thankful for my husband, who quite possibly will never fully understand me (I'm still working on that myself!) but "gets me" more often than most.

Thankful for family, who have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in me yet still claim me as one of their own.

Thankful for my parents, who spent their entire lives working tirelessly to provide for their family.  Who created a stable world to grow up in when the rest of the world was not.  Who made it possible to feel anchored no matter where my own personal path led.  Who, in the process of just living day to day, established a bank of memories that point the way forward as I work to create loving and sustaining memories for my own children.

Thankful for all that has been and all that will be.

Happy Thanksgiving.  May your day be filled with happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!