Saturday, March 14, 2015

But This Is Soooo Boring!

You know that kid who just doesn't want to do something so he moans and groans about it endlessly, making himself, and you, increasingly miserable by the minute?  You start off trying to encourage him, spouting words of wisdom in a cheerful, sing-song voice such as, "The sooner you get started, the sooner you'll finish," and "It's not that bad.  Really."  After a while, however, you realize a person can only take so much "But it's soooo boring," and "I don't wanna do it" before reaching the boiling-over point, and you find yourself quoting Nike ("Just do it!") in a somewhat less cheerful, sing-song voice.  Today I realized something.

I am that kid.

Now, in my own defense, I realized this while cleaning house, and I'm not sure moaning and groaning about housecleaning and trying to avoid it altogether should even count.  I mean, what sane person wants to spend a perfectly gorgeous Saturday cleaning house?  Not me, that's for dang sure.  Today I had to clean though.  My husband and his brother Jon signed up for a half-marathon that's taking place tomorrow, so plans were made for Jon, who lives a couple hours away, to spend the night with us.  In our house.  Which meant it had to be clean.  I can't have people thinking I'm a slob.

I can honestly say I did clean house all day today.  But I did a lot of other stuff, too.  Every time I passed by the computer, I came up with some reason to stop.  I wonder if anyone's read my blog?  Let me check.  Do I have any urgent emails that demand my attention?  What should I buy from my friend's Norwex Facebook party?  What is Norwex?  Let me Google it and see if it's really worth my money.  (I should probably point out the irony of this part.  If you are not familiar with Norwex, they sell cleaning products.  Cleaning.  The very thing I was actively avoiding.)  Ooh, someone posted something on Facebook.  I really need to read that.  And so on and so on.

Then the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hello."

"Hi, Jon.  How are you?  Are you on your way?"

"I'm about 25 minutes away.  I just wanted to make sure someone was home."

"Yeah, we're home.  We'll see you when you get here.  Bye."

Oh crap!  25 minutes?  Suddenly I was aware of the 532 things I hadn't quite gotten to.  It was just little stuff really.  He'd be sleeping on clean sheets and the guest bathroom was clean.   That's what really matters, right?  So what if we had mail piled up on the dining room table?  Would he judge me if I had a few dirty dishes in the sink?  Actually, I knew this wasn't about my brother-in-law; it was about me.  I was raised in a very neat, tidy, and clean house.  That's the way I like my house to be.  I just don't like being the one to make it that way.

If only I hadn't wasted so much time.  I could have gotten everything done, no sweat.  Okay, maybe a little sweat.  But my house would be clean from top to bottom.  It would be done and I wouldn't have to worry about it.  Not for a few days at least.  No wonder I don't like cleaning.  Next weekend I'm going to have to do it all over again.

I think I feel another "But I don't wanna do it" coming on.

 

7 comments:

  1. This was such an entertaining read! Several playful twists (I thought some kid was involved cleaning, not you), and just dang good writing! I enjoyed every minute of it!
    While I don't have the similar compulsion to clean for guests (our home is usually well-kept in my opinion), I can understand it in other people.

    What half-marathon are they running? I am running one in the Chicago area tomorrow, but no guests are staying with us tonight. So I can slob it up if I choose, which entails leaving a dish or two on the counter overnight.

    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! My goal is to one day have a home that is always guest-ready. Maybe when the kids are grown?

      My husband is running in the Shamrock Half Marathon in Sacramento. Good luck with yours tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. I feel much the same-I was cleaning house today too! If much rather be doing something different! Huuray for distractions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many better things to be doing, aren't there? I am hoping my Norwex order will come quickly and make cleaning quicker and easier! :)

      Delete
  3. I agree as well. It just is so futile. I have two young kids at home so it seems like the minute something is clean somebody has to eat again and I start all over. I appreciated the irony of Norwex as well. Kind of like when I am stuck writing and I'm on fb reading about writing instead of just writing! I didn't face my chores today so tomorrow will be a day when i break out my rags. Maybe I should order Norwex:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my experience. I have two boys, ages 12 and 8, and I feel lucky if my house stays clean for 5 minutes.

      I think I will have to do a follow-up post after I receive my Norwex order. Hopefully, I will be writing about how it has changed my life! :)

      Delete
  4. I agree as well. It just is so futile. I have two young kids at home so it seems like the minute something is clean somebody has to eat again and I start all over. I appreciated the irony of Norwex as well. Kind of like when I am stuck writing and I'm on fb reading about writing instead of just writing! I didn't face my chores today so tomorrow will be a day when i break out my rags. Maybe I should order Norwex:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!