Saturday, March 28, 2015

The View from Here

Clear blue skies stretch overhead and the steady whoosh of waves crashing against the shore fills the air.  A cool breeze blows my hair around as birds soar above.  Even though this is not where I live, I am home.

I am not entirely sure why, but I have always been drawn to the ocean.  I lived for the better part of seven years by its side and even though it has been more than twenty years since I left, I still feel a little homesick for the coastal town I called home.  Yesterday afternoon when the road to Monterey finally revealed the expansive view of the bay, my eyes filled with tears.  I had been reunited at last with my long lost friend.

I remarked to my mom the other day that I would move back to the coast in a heartbeat.  She said she would pick the mountains over the coast.  She doesn't like the fog.  I actually love the moodiness of the ocean.  From her happy, playful topaz to her pensive navy to her stormy battleship gray.  She is always beautiful to me.  She soothes as she lovingly caresses the shore, but she never leaves any doubt of the intense power she contains.  Within her strength lies her true beauty.

Tomorrow I will leave my friend once more and there are sure to be more tears as I say goodbye.  But for today I am content to stand on the shore and watch her dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!