Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Home!

 I am sure my son was surprised to get an immediate response to his text the other night letting me know that he was home. It was 2:00 a.m. after all. I was up, however, and wide awake, having awakened after only a couple hours of sleep. Not wanting to disturb my husband who would be getting up at 4:30, I had grabbed my phone and my book from my nightstand and, as quietly as I could, I had eased open our bedroom door and crept downstairs.

Our two cats, Benny and Penny, were curled up together on the recliner and didn't even bother to look up when I rudely turned on the light. I took a seat on the couch and wrapped myself in the warmth of the throw my sister had given us for Christmas. I alternated between reading my book and checking my phone, tracking my son's progress on Life360 as he drove home to Santa Barbara from LAX. At one point, he seemed to not be moving at all on 101. I assured myself it was a glitch in the app and not an indication that something had gone horribly wrong. Sure enough, a few minutes later he was shown to be making steady progress up the coast.

So, by the time my son texted me, I already knew he had safely made it home. I was happy, though, that he had thought to send a text, simply announcing, "Home!" I responded with a ❤ and decided that maybe it was now time to return to my bed and try to get a few hours of sleep.

My son may have been surprised his mother responded at 2:00 a.m., but he shouldn't have been. Making sure our kids are safe is just what mothers do.






7 comments:

  1. It's so true...we never stop worrying and then throw grandkids into the picture and it's a wonder we ever get any sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember thinking my parents were crazy for worrying about me even after I was an adult. Now I totally get it!

      Delete
  2. and of course you woke up because your unconscious was monitoring your son's flight and return home. This is a lovely report on how that's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you. The worrying never really stops--it just changes! Sadly, now we use the Life 360 to keep track of my mom so she doesn't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it never stops. Having to worry about aging parents is really difficult, too.

      Delete
  4. Wow. This is incredible. I can see myself doing exactly the same thing when my children are older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about my kids more now than I did when they were younger!

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!