Monday, March 2, 2020

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Even though it was Monday, the day started off full of promise. The sky was blue and the air had the feeling of spring, light-sweater warm as opposed to heavy-jacket cold. 

Walking up to my line of students waiting to be led to the classroom for the school day to begin, you could feel the excitement. Many were carrying extra bags overflowing with pillows and stuffed animals and favorite books to read. We had decided last week that we would do nothing but read, read, read for the first hour and a half of school to celebrate Read Across America Day. After being out sick last Thursday and Friday, I was looking forward to a little quiet time to get caught up on the mountain of paperwork piled high on my desk.

I wasn't too surprised or too worried when it took my class a while to find their spot, lay out their blankets, and settle down. Settling down quickly is a skill this particular group of kids hasn't quite mastered yet. After a few "Okay, we should all be settled down and quietly reading" announcements from me, they finally quieted down and began to read.  Well, mostly. I found myself on several occasions winding my way between blankets and stuffed animals, trying not to step on outstretched legs as I made my way to the other side of the room to remind students they should be reading and not talking. Or throwing stuffed animals.

On one of my many passes through the obstacle course of third graders, one of my students approached me at the back of the room.

"Mrs. Regan, my neck hurts," J. whined.

"I'm sure that's just because of how you've been lying on the floor. Change your position," I suggested.

He quietly went back to his spot to continue reading and I returned to my desk once again.  It wasn't long, though, before I was making my way back to the rear of the classroom. Once again, J. followed me.

"Mrs. Regan, my neck still hurts. And I feel like I'm going to throw up," he said.

Before I could respond, he bent forward and made a heaving motion. Shoot, he wasn't kidding! Quickly, I grabbed the nearby trash can and placed it in front of him. Thanks to my split-second timing not a drop of the vomit that promptly spewed from his mouth landed on the floor.

After sending him off to the office, trash can in hand, I returned to my desk wondering what other unexpected pleasures the day held in store.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 6.09.23 AM

11 comments:

  1. Nice work! I wasn't expecting the day to be good with the start your post had, and I'm really glad none of those pillows or stuffed animals were hit-- that was what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a tragedy! Your comment reminded me, though, that he was standing near one girl's blanket, and she quickly pulled it out of the way once she realized what was happening.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was a surprise! I wonder why his neck hurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I talked to him later, he said his neck only started hurting during reading time, so I really do think it was because of the position he was lying in.

      Delete
  3. You tell this story very well, the opening sentences bright and shiny, everything seems like it will be normal, even though it takes a while for the class to settle, but that seems normal too. Then the crisis, poor J. Really sick. But you could it in time. I hope J. will be better soon. And you don't have any more sick students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope everyone stays healthy, too. I don't handle vomiting well!

      Delete
  4. Retch Across America? I hope you and J. never have to observe that occasion again. Best wishes for his speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retch Across America. I love it! I think that's what I will secretly call it from now on. :)

      Delete
  5. Great glimpse into your classroom, Amanda. A memorable slice of life for you, and yes, you will always think Retch Across America each March. Hopefully it will never happen again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, one of the moments that no teacher enjoys. Well done with your quick thinking by reaching for the trash can. We had two incidents of weeing on the carpet last week. Unfortunately there is no quick save that I know of for that one...?!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!