Monday, March 15, 2021

An Act of Obstinance

Today was the kind of day that left me with thoughts swirling around in my brain, none of which wanted to stick.

"I don't know what to write. Maybe I just won't write tonight," I told my husband. 

No sooner were the words out of my mouth than I realized that I had to write.  If I were to give up tonight, what would make me come back tomorrow?

One thing I know to be true about me is that I am not one to give up. I may ask that you give me five minutes so that I may wallow in self-pity, but then I'll be back full throttle. Defeat is something I will not admit.

So, even though I did not have any solid train of thought and my writing most likely would run right off the tracks, I sat down to write. It was an act of obstinance, perhaps, but I'd like to think it was also an act of courage, an act of faith. 



3 comments:

  1. I see a “solid train of thought”: A reflection on the struggle to write tonight. Your showing up is an act of courage and commitment. Today was a Monday of Mondays. Maybe it’s the time change. Here’s to a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your feeling well, both the thought that "i have nothing to say so why write?" and the immediately following thought "if I don't write today, how will I write tomorrow?" And I like how you turned the simple act of deciding to write into your slice for the day. Anything can be a subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the idea of writing as an act of obstinance! I think I have a fair bit of that myself. And have often wondered what would bring me back if I missed a day. So I can't let that happen! I always enjoy a slice about slicing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!