Sunday, March 7, 2021

Overdue

Ugh.

Another automated notice from my son's school that a math assignment that was due on Friday is late.

I don't know why, but he has struggled all year in this class. Not so much with the material, although I think that, too, has been difficult, but with getting things turned in on time. Jack is very responsible about completing his work, so I can't quite figure out where the disconnect is. There is definitely a disconnect, though, in this class at least.

I am tempted to blame it on this crazy year. Like me, he started the year full distance learning before moving to a hybrid schedule of half the school attending in-person alternate days. Then, for some strange reason, they changed to a different hybrid schedule. He now goes to school every day, but for only half the day, so he attends only half of his classes each day. Which means, of course, he is still only attending his classes every other day and half of his work has to be completed asynchronously. 

When I tell him that I have received a notice of an overdue assignment, I see the frustration and stress settle into his face.

All I can think is, this school year can't end fast enough.  



8 comments:

  1. Growing up and going to school is complicated enough for a young person. The mixed up routine and changing forms of schooling adds to the confusion for sure. Compassion and self-compassion help here. Few more months and the summer will arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people,including me, are right there with you. I teach sixth grade, on a hybrid schedule.I work really hard to make the assignments clear, and not too hard. I hold office hours to support kids. And still kids struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SERIOUSLY! I can't keep up with all of it either. The schedule is making demands that our brains weren't actually designed to meet, IMO--and certainly not if you have any executive function challenges (raising my hand) or if you're a child or teen. I have due date suggestions in my classes but no actual deadlines--I will take the work for full credit until the second I have to submit grades. Because it's just too hard to juggle 7 classes all online or hybrid or online and then hybrid, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am doing too. There is no way, in these circumstances, that I am going to be punitive about late work!

      Delete
  4. I think we ALL feel the same way.... teachers, parents, students. This has all been difficult on so many and hopefully as we near the end of the year, the thought of a fresh start to come soon will be good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so difficult to keep our own kids motivated and make sure they are completing their work on top of making sure our students are completing this work on time! I, too, am looking forward to the end of this year. Too many changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece is so true for so many in this moment. I hate wishing things away, but this year has been so challenging for so many. His frustration breaks my heart. How can we expect so many from our kids when nothing fits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As both an 8th grade teacher and mom to a 5th grader, I agree. In my household, at least, we have much less pandemic stress when school is not in session, and generally feel calmer and happier all around. Moving everything online and pretending that all is normal, when it isn't, has not turned out as well as people hoped. Thankfully, though, my son's school does not send out automatic notices of overdue assignments! That is so stressful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!