Tuesday, March 9, 2021

An Unexpected Act of Kindness

I opened my classroom door to welcome my students. Although the bell had just rung, the girl who is usually first through the door was already standing there. In her hands, was a bunch of roses.

She walked into our classroom, turned around, and held the flowers out to me.

"Are these for me?" I asked. I was somewhat bewildered. It wasn't Valentine's Day and it wasn't my birthday. I couldn't think of a single reason for this gift.

"They're for International Women's Day," she responded before heading to her desk to get settled in for the day.

"Thank you, they're beautiful," I said.

And just like that, my day was turned around. The residue of my Monday morning grumblings of "I don't want to go to work" instantly faded away and the weight of the day and all I needed to accomplish suddenly didn't feel quite so heavy.

It's amazing what a simple act of kindness can do. 




1 comment:

  1. I love stories like this. That is so awesome. Just a little something to know you are thought of and special. I'm glad you had this moment that turned around your day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!