Friday, March 10, 2017

Early Morning Panic

Eyes pop open
4:00 a.m.
I'm wide awake
or at least more awake 
than I want to be.

Mind starts whirling
in a state of panic.
Whatever will I write?

Should I write about yesterday's Fun Run
and the 20 students covered in
shaving cream?

The mom who brought her son to school
then disappeared with him
without saying a word?

The moment of studious quiet
that seized my students
as they worked on
writing Who Would Win,
catching me by surprise?

Perhaps I should reflect on
the little girl
who always
sits and stares
never completing her work.

Or the boy who does the same.

Maybe I should write of the late day memo
telling about next week's staff development
in which I discovered
my room will be filled with TK teachers.
My messy little room 
absent of Pinterest posters.
One week to make it 
picture perfect.
Or clean and organized 
at least.

Talk about panic.

Or should I write of finally coming home,
cooking a late dinner
all the while spewing endless stories about my day
as my husband pours a glass of wine
and helplessly listens?

Too few ideas?
Or too many?
Whatever will I write?
It was just an ordinary day 
filled with 
extraordinary moments.

4 comments:

  1. This is perfect. You told us about everything. Though I have to admit, I'm intrigued about the mom who brought her son to school and then left with him....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it was strange. She told me she was going to try to get him a doctor's appointment that day, so I assumed she'd check him out when she got one. Evidently, I misunderstood. Still no sure why she brought him at all, though.

      Delete
  2. I love that last line: "It was just an ordinary day filled with extraordinary moments." So poignant and yet true! I've never thought of the things that happen in my day as extraordinary...but may I should. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Johanna! One of the things I love about this challenge is you have to look more closely at the moments of your day, and often what appears ordinary on the surface becomes so much more upon closer examination.

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!