Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Morning Routine


Alarm goes off
and I spend several minutes
in internal debate between
warm bed or
cold kitchen

Knowing that time
is precious
I grab a sweatshirt
and warm, fuzzy socks

I don't look in the mirror
I don't want to know

After a slight detour
to feed hungry kitties
I head downstairs

I make a beeline
for the coffee maker
and set my laptop down
on the kitchen table

I grab the coffee,
pour the milk,
sit down to read and write

Penny appears on cue
jumps on my lap
and purrs
digging her needles for claws
into my leg in
pure contentment

Benny meows
from somewhere upstairs
looking for his sister
no doubt

The rest of the house
is still,
full of sleeping boys

This time is just for us girls
Penny purrs
and I write


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! My favorite parts -- "I don't look in the mirror, I don't want to know" and "This time is just for us girls, Penny purrs and I write" Love it! :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Penny purrs and I write." I miss Hadley, my kitty companion, who used to sit beside me on the bed and purr while I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss. We spent several years without cats after our Adele died. Our house seems a much happier place since adopting Penny and Benny last year.

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!