Friday, March 10, 2023

A Peaceful Friday Evening

 It wasn't a horrible day, at least not until 8th period. My language arts students are currently working on a writing assessment, so most of class was spent with them furiously writing their first draft. Several times I was about to chastise a student for being turned around in their chair, when I realized that they were looking at the anchor charts I had hanging on the back wall. My irritation quickly dissipated and turned to pleasure. They were actually using the anchor charts! 

Unfortunately, eighth period was a different story. Several students made it their mission to do as little as possible and bring down everyone else with them. I felt like I was playing Whac-a-Mole, bouncing here and there to try to redirect them and get them back on task. By the end of class, I was exhausted and irritated.

What time are you coming home? I texted my husband. I need to go for a walk and drink a glass of wine.

I was happy to get the response that he would be home by 5:00. That would give us time to get in our daily walk before having to pick up our son from track practice.

We decided to walk along a trail near our son's high school. The cool, late-afternoon air was filled with the songs of the birds gathered in the still-bare branches of the trees lining the path and the honking of geese, who seemed to be in a contest to determine who was king of the small island in the seasonal pond. As we walked and talked, I felt the tension of the day melt away. 

Later, the three of us sat in a Thai restaurant, waiting for our order. Across the restaurant, a man played the guitar and sang. We couldn't hear him very well, though, since the restaurant was crowded and full of conversation that muffled the music.

"Tom Petty," I said to my husband. "He's playing 'Free Fallin'.'"

We both paused and leaned in, straining to hear better.

"Maybe not," I said. "It sounds different."

"It's a depressed, suicidal version of Tom Petty," my husband offered.

I laughed, and it sounded like the laugh of a relaxed and happy person.

Tomorrow I would be faced with the task of grading 100 essays and trying to design lessons to entice the uninterested students who frequent my classroom. Tonight, though, I would just enjoy the peace of being with my family.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!