Sunday, March 5, 2023

Time to Breathe

"Where do you want to go?" my husband asks as I adjust the beanie on my head, preparing myself for the cold temperatures that await to assault us on the other side of our front door.

"I don't know. Someplace pretty," I say. Last week I signed up for a fitness challenge at work, so I am committed to exercising for 30-60 minutes each day. I figure I might as well be somewhere where I can enjoy the scenery while I'm at it.

We still haven't settled on where we are going as we yell goodbye to our son and head outside. My husband veers toward his car, so I gather that we are not simply going to be walking around our neighborhood. 

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Sierra College.," he says.

I stare out the window as we drive across town. Dark gray clouds are bunching up all around us, but for now a canopy of blue sky stretches above us and the sun shines brightly, belying the cold.

Even with my layers, I am still cold as we begin to walk. But I don't really mind; it feels good to be outside. The cement walking/bicycle path is surrounded by green grass and trees, whose branches are swelling with leaf buds and bursting out in a profusion of white and pink blossoms. The sound of rushing water can be heard coming from the creek that is usually no more than a trickle of water. As we continue up the path, we notice the debris left by the previous storms. In places it looks like a giant went running through the trees, carelessly pushing them out of his way. Somehow, though, it just adds to the beauty of this natural landscape.

Breathing deeply, I feel the tension that has been my constant companion for way too long begin to melt away. Although thoughts of the things that still need to be done this weekend float through my brain, I do not allow them to linger. 

This time is for me. 







2 comments:

  1. Mmm... Lovely. Thanks for taking us on this walk with you. I especially love this line, "In places it looks like a giant went running through the trees, carelessly pushing them out of his way" and your description of the gray clouds "bunching up". Oddly, I'm also Amanda and I also wrote about a walk today and I also began teaching in 1995 and - wait for it - am the mother of two sons. So I kind of feel like you're my long-lost twin. So glad I found your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you overcoming that inertia that drags at all of us sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!