Tuesday, March 28, 2023

No Longer a Child

Today will be a day 
of anxious waiting. 
My child, 
who is no longer a child, 
is on a plane bound for Mexico.
I try to avoid the compulsive
checking of his flight status,
try not to think about 
dangers that could await him.
This is who I want him to be, 
young, bold, unafraid,
and yet. . .
I do not know  
how not to worry
how not to want to keep him close,
keep him safe.
I do not know 
how to be the mother 
of a child,
who is no longer a child.






2 comments:

  1. Oh I wholly feel this. My daughter is getting on a plane tomorrow and th worries are there. I will be watching on the app that tracks the plane until it lands. May you find peace while he is away. I guess we should both try to embrace their independence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one!

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!