Sunday, March 12, 2023

Message from the Past

A few days ago, I was scrolling through Facebook, wasting time, when I received a notification that I had memories for that date. Intrigued, and still wanting to put off whatever it was I was trying to avoid doing, I clicked on the notification. There were several, but one jumped out at me. It was from my dad.

Dad: How was school today?

Me: It was fine. It's a little depressing these days. Talked to a friend who got her pink slip and she said that it didn't look good that she'd be back next year. Education will be losing some good teachers and our state's unemployment rate will be higher. Why do you ask?

Dad: Because we are concerned!

Me: Why are you concerned? You should be more concerned that I drive a Prius! (just kidding!)

Dad: We are! Why don't you park that wild thing along side the Sacramento river and hope for the best???

Me: Um, because I love my car and I kind of need it to get to work. I don't drive on the freeway, so I'm not exactly flooring it.

It's been almost nine years since my father died, and here he was, talking to me. I could hear his voice in my head as I read his words, and just for a moment I was a daughter once again. 



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory to pop up! It’s the memories that keep our loved ones who are gone in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last line is so beautiful and poignant. It was fun to read the exchange and get to have a sense of your father's voice. Even just this little snippet conveys a special relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha. He was a great father. It's easy to believe that he is still watching out for me.

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!